HE Peter Beckingham bids farewell to territory

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, June 16, 2016 – A new Governor comes to the Turks and Caicos by October, as Peter Beckingham bids farewell to the territory.  Dr. John Freeman, CMG has been appointed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as the next Governor and comes to the TCI from Argentina where he has been serving since 2012.Governor Beckingham said he will be sad to leave the country, he and his wife, “We have had three very happy years here, the work has been stimulating and everyone most welcoming. Our two daughters and our new grandchildren have also loved visiting.” HE, who will also be retiring from diplomatic service added that the couple wants to hold one more of their charity events before departing the Turks and Caicos.  “I hope we can see many friends, colleagues and business contacts before we leave in October; Jill is planning another Footsteps4Good in September, so that will be a great opportunity to catch up with lots of people across the Family islands.”  Dr Freeman, the British Ambassador to Argentina, will take up his appointment during October 2016.last_img read more

Healey Demands Answers From Columbia Gas On Safe Restoration of Gas Service

first_imgBOSTON, MA — Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey today sent a letter to Columbia Gas demanding answers about the company’s plans for the safe and expeditious restoration of gas and fair compensation for affected residents in the Merrimack Valley following the devastating fires and explosions earlier this month.“In the wake of this tragedy, I have heard from many residents and businesses who have suffered significant losses yet remain in the dark about Columbia Gas’ claims process and the plans for restoring gas service,” said AG Healey. “I am demanding information from Columbia Gas about their specific plans because these people need and deserve answers and clarity as they rebuild their lives and communities.”In her letter, AG Healey notes that the failure of the Columbia Gas distribution system resulted in death, serious injury, the loss of homes and small businesses, and disruption of gas services for heating, hot water and cooking for thousands of residents in the company’s Merrimack Valley territory.As the state’s ratepayer advocate and chief law enforcement officer, AG Healey is committed to ensuring that Columbia Gas lays out their plan for implementing the recovery process, including gas restoration and compensation for those affected, and that ratepayers do not bear any of the costs associated with those efforts.The letter requests a meeting with Columbia Gas executives next week to discuss how they plan to implement the recovery effort, specifically:Ensuring that pipes are replaced in a safe manner and that the new pipes will result in a safe gas distribution service going forward.Ensuring the safety of all its Massachusetts territories while working on recovery efforts in its Merrimack Valley territory.Making sure that customers are receiving timely and complete information regarding the company’s restoration plan, including considering a text-messaging or similar real-time communications system (with an opt-out provision) that would reach all affected customers.Developing a plan for paying the electric bills of its customers who are forced to rely on electric space heaters and hot plates.Accommodating customers who choose to make alternative housing arrangements.Clarifying how the company intends to pay customers for losses incurred related to this disaster.Providing the AG’s Office with copies of the company’s internal claims procedure and any claims form it intends to use.Ensuring affected customers can easily obtain alternative heating sources for their homes and, if they choose, permanently transition to energy efficient, clean technologies without any additional costs.Addressing how work will be completed if a property owner is not present to authorize repairs.Clarifying in a written statement its plan to not bill affected customers for any gas service until service is restored.Confirming and ensuring that customers will not pay for any part of this disaster through the regulatory ratemaking process.Earlier this week, AG Healey sent Columbia Gas and NiSource orders to preserve documents for a potential state investigation.AG Healey has also issued two advisories offering guidance and resources in her office to support Merrimack Valley residents and businesses recovering from this tragedy. The AG’s Office issued an advisory about giving wisely to charities and knowing your consumer rights and this week announced a new hotline for residents and business owners with questions and concerns to connect with specialists in the office. The AG’s Office also provided guidance about legal representation and home improvement scams. The AG’s Office has been and will continue to send staff to assist individuals at the claims center in Lawrence.For more information or assistance, contact the Attorney General’s dedicated hotline for Merrimack Valley residents at (617) 573-5370. It is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Consumers can also obtain guidance and resources at the AG’s dedicated webpage at mass.gov/ago/merrimackvalley.(NOTE: The above press release is from the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedAttorney General Files Comments with FERC Urging Caution on Kinder Morgan PipelineIn “Government”Lender To Cancel $1.6 Million In Loans Made To Former ITT Tech Students At Wilmington & Norwood CampusesIn “Government”Attorney General Awards Middlesex Sheriff’s Office A Healthy Summer Youth Jobs GrantIn “Police Log”last_img read more

Ravi Shastris continuation as Team Indias head coach confirmed CAC not looking

first_imgVirat Kohli and Ravi Shastri together.BEN STANSALL/AFP/Getty ImagesFormer Indian cricketer Ravi Shastri is, reportedly, almost confirmed to continue as the head coach of Team India. As reported by IANS, a member of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC), appointed to pick the coaching unit has made it clear that Shastri is the biggest contender and they are not looking for foreign coaches. The member further added that under Shastri the Indian team have performed well so he probably will be handed a new contract.”We are not too keen to bring in a foreign coach. Yes, had someone of the stature of Gary Kirsten applied, we might have given it a thought. But even then, an Indian would have always been the priority. After all, the team has also done well under an Indian head coach, so why look for a change? As things stand now, Shastri does look to be the favourite to be handed a fresh contract,” the CAC member told IANS.The Kapil Dev led committee member also mentioned that if there is a joint-winner then Kapil’s vote will become the decider but as of now it is likely to be in favour of Shastri.”See, firstly, it is a three-member panel, so a split decision is highly unlikely. But yes, if at all a situation does arise where A goes for one candidate, B for another and C for another, the vote of the chairman will come in and the decision will stand. But as of now, we don’t see something like that happening,” the member said. File photo of MS Dhoni and Ravi Shastri.ReutersOn the other hand, a senior BCCI official stated that it is necessary for Shastri to stay as India is undergoing a transition phase. He further claimed that as Kohli has a good equation with Shastri it will be better if the latter stays as the coach.”Nothing permanent with a long term effect should happen at this stage of transition. Shastri and Kohli complement each other well and it would be unfair to change half of a team that has been successful. A change in coach may disturb the equation that exists and allows the players to have the mental space to excel,” the official told IANS.”If a change is made at this stage, it would be a change of strategy and planning for the next 5 years. It would be unfair to take such a decision at a stage when the stakeholders are not the ones deciding,” the official further added.The Men in Blue are currently in the Caribbean for the West Indies tour and they are already 2-0 up in the T20 international series. The coaching unit of the Indian team has been given an extension till the end of the Windies tour.last_img read more

Memory marks and markers

first_img‘Marks are made by markers, but the marks also define the markers. This show is all about memory and history. Memories are like marks which have been created by a particular time and at the same time, eroded by time too. So “time” is the marker here, a personal/private time and Time as an eternal flow. Marks are then the signs of/for my intrinsic unconscious self and these could be read also as conscious choices from my socio-private experiences, mediated by time,’ says artist Samindranath Majumdar, talking about his work. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Paintings of this Kolkata-based artist will be on exhibition at the Gallerie Ganesha in a show called Marks And Markers. Samindranath Majumdar’s paintings look back to his own experiences, using abstraction and multiple layers of paint to redefine space and memory.His works tread the fine line between completely abstract and representative forms, calling into question the role that narrative threads play in experiencing art. For Majumdar, memory unfolds in a series of unstable visuals. Born in a Kolkata suburb, he grew up among greenery which was slowly being replaced by the growing space of a crowded metropolis. Observing the imposing and, sometime, crumbling buildings on a daily basis left its mark on his memory, to surface many years later in his canvases.last_img read more

Lets call Earth Planet Ocean

first_imgThe future of humankind will depend to a great extent on the resources to be taken from the ocean volume and the seafloor says the book ‘Oceans and the Future of the Human Race’, by Sudipta Kumar De.Even with the technology available today humankind has better maps of the surface of Mars and dark side of the Moon than of the bottom of the oceans. While a dozen people have walked on the Moon 384,400 kms above the earth’s surface, only three have descended and come back from the deepest part in the sea, just 11 kms below, the book informs.  Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Today, we can go to Mars, but the deep ocean really is our final frontier. The unexplored oceans hold mysteries more compelling, environments more challenging and life-forms more bizarre than anything the vacuum of space has to offer, the book says. Ocean is also the cornerstone of the earth’s life support system. If it is in trouble, so are we, the author says. Possible solutions to the world’s energy, food, environmental and other problems are far more likely to be found in the nearby oceans than in distant space. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with Netflix The space is a distant, hostile and barren place, the study of which yields few major discoveries and an abundance of over hyped claims. By contrast the oceans are nearby and their study is a potential source of discoveries that could prove helpful for addressing a wide range of national concerns from climate change to disease; for reducing energy, mineral and potable water shortage and it is also cheaper, the author says. NASA is spending billions in search of extraterrestrial lives while there are at least 750, 000 new species still waiting to be discovered beneath the waves, the author says. When millions of poor people die from hunger, lack of medicine and water, it is an ocean scientist who can help them, not a space scientist, the book says.For the scientists who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of knowledge about the sea, it is a sad state of affairs.last_img read more

What Every Online Business Needs to Know About the Childrens Online Privacy

first_img Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now May 9, 2013 3 min read When setting up an online business, there are a lot of elements that you need need to consider. For example, websites designed for children under age 13 or sites that know they’re collecting information from children under 13 are subject to rules concerning child online privacy. Failure to comply with these rules can lead to steep government fines. Congress enacted the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) in 1998. The law allows parents to control the information collected by businesses and websites from children. Since that time, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has monitored businesses to ensure they’re in compliance with COPPA. With the first changes to the rules coming July 1, 2013, we reviewed new COPPA guidelines to find answers to the most important questions you may have about this law.Related: Customer Privacy Policy EssentialsDoes COPPA apply to my business?COPPA applies to any commercial website or online service (including mobile apps and social networking sites) targeting kids under 13 that collects, uses, or discloses personal information from children. The law also applies to general audience websites or online services that are knowingly collecting, using or disclosing personal information from children under 13. Personal information is defined as a screen name, or a “persistent identifier” such as IP address, or traditional information including phone number, social security number, photographs, video, and more.What does my business need to do to comply with COPPA?If your app or website fits the criteria above, you are required under COPPA to post privacy policies, provide notice to parents, and obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from children. You can get parental consent by offering a mail-in consent form, a toll-free number or videoconference for parents to contact your staff.In the case of a purchase made by a parent on the site, use of a credit card that provides notice of the sale to the account holder may suffice. The guidelines state, however, that use of a parent’s app store account password is not sufficient to comply with the parental consent requirement. Some exceptions to the prior parental consent rule may apply, check the FTC website for more information. Are there penalties for not complying with COPPA?Yes. The FTC may file a complaint and a court may hold a site operator liable for up to $16,000 for each child your business unlawfully collects information about. States may also bring COPPA enforcement actions against businesses, such as issuing a court order for your company to comply with COPPA.What if the child lies about his/her age on a general audience website?The website owner isn’t required to investigate the age of visitors to the site. However, if you have knowledge that a child is using your site (for example, you are notified by a concerned parent), then you could be responsible for gathering information from a child.Lastly, if your website is subject to COPPA, you may want to contact an expert to ensure your site is in compliance. The FTC published a set of guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions to answer questions about COPPA and the rule revisions. Related: A Seven-Step Guide to Protecting Customer Privacy This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. Enroll Now for Freelast_img read more