Tech Industry Apple Pay Mobile payments GDPR Valve 5G Virtual Reality Disney Space Star Wars Facebook Wi-Fi 0 Post a comment 5G is the real deal, a notion that grew even clearer this week as Sprint became the third US carrier to turn on its next-gen network. CNET put Sprint’s network to the test in Dallas and was impressed. Meanwhile, Apple is readying for its developers conference next week, which won’t be about splashy device unveilings so much as clues to hardware in the works.Here are some of the week’s other stories you don’t want to miss: Watch out, Apple Pay. Tap-to-pay cards are coming on strongThese cards could speed up how we shop and commute every day. Ben Fox Rubin/CNET Building a rocket in a garage to take on SpaceX and Blue OriginGilmour Space Technologies is a plucky startup in the new space race. Its first mission: sending a powerful hybrid rocket to the edge of space. Ian Knighton/CNET Disney’s Star Wars land review: Galaxy’s Edge from every angleEver wanted to visit a Star Wars planet or sit in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon? This new Star Wars-themed land comes close to making those dreams a reality. Vanessa Hand Orellana/CNET Europe’s GDPR has accomplished a lot in its infancyAt just a year old, the General Data Protection Regulation has already forced big tech firms to make significant changes to their privacy policies. And its real effects are still to come. Saul Gravy/Getty Images The internet is changing Africa, mostly for the betterCheap smartphones are flooding Africa, giving many of its citizens access to the internet for the very first time. Andela Valve Index’s new VR controllers feel like the future of gamingThe most interesting feature in Valve’s new virtual reality system is how its controllers work in your hands. Sarah Tew/CNET Facebook quietly killed a map for discovering live videosSome users want the map back. Facebook screenshot by Andrew Hoyle/CNET First to 5G? For smartphone users, the race is kind of meaninglessEE is the first UK carrier to jump to 5G. But for most consumers, the upgrade just isn’t worth it yet.5G has arrived in the UK today. Jaromir Chalabala/EyeEm ‘First 10 years were very tough’: Aladdin star on being an Iranian actor in HollywoodIt hasn’t always been easy for Navid Negahban, but Amazon, YouTube and Netflix are changing Hollywood for the better, the Sultan says. Daniel Smith Share your voice Tags
A Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II aircraftReutersThe United States said on Wednesday that it was removing Turkey from the F-35 fighter jet program, a move that had been long threatened and expected after Ankara began accepting delivery of an advanced Russian missile defence system last week.The first parts of the S-400 air defence system were flown to the Murted military airbase north-west of Ankara on Friday, sealing Turkey’s deal with Russia, which Washington had struggled for months to prevent.”The US and other F-35 partners are aligned in this decision to suspend Turkey from the program and initiate the process to formally remove Turkey from the program,” said Ellen Lord, the under secretary of defence for acquisition and sustainment.”The United States is spending between $500 and $600 million in non-recurring engineering in order to shift the supply chain,” she said.Used by NATO and other US allies, the F-35 stealth fighter jet is the world’s most advanced jet fighter. Washington is concerned that deploying the S-400 with the F-35 would allow Russia to gain too much inside information of the stealth system.”The F-35 cannot coexist with a Russian intelligence collection platform that will be used to learn about its advanced capabilities,” the White House said in a statement earlier on Wednesday.Washington has long said the acquisition may lead to Turkey’s expulsion from the F-35 program.The Pentagon had already laid out a plan to remove Turkey from the program, including halting any new training for Turkish pilots on the advanced aircraft.”The situation with Turkey is a government-to-government matter and we’ll comply with any guidance issued by the United States Government,” said a spokesperson for Lockheed Martin Corp, the prime contractor on the jet.
Five students of Dhaka University start hunger strike at the foot of Raju Sculpture on Tuesday evening, demanding fresh elections to its central student union and hall unions. Photo: UNBFour independent candidates along with a general student of Dhaka University (DU) started hunger strike at the foot of Raju Sculpture on the campus on Tuesday evening, demanding fresh elections to its central students’ union and hall unions, reports UNB.Among them, Anindya Mondol, a third year student of Philosophy department was a member candidate of Jagannath Hall union, Tawhid Tanjin, a fourth year student of Computer Science and Technology department, was a candidate for transport affairs secretary of Dhaka University Central Students Union (DUCSU) elections.The others are Soyeb Mahmud, a second year student of Physics department and an independent candidate of literature affairs secretary of Shahidulla Hall union, Md Mainiddin, a second year student of Population Sciences department and an independent candidate of cultural affairs secretary of Mohsin Hall Union and Roni Hossain, a fourth year student of Geography and Environment Science department and a resident of Bijoy Ekattor Hall.Anindya Mondol told UNB, “The results of DUCSU and hall unions are fabricated ones. The university authorities staged a drama in the name of election.”Five students of Dhaka University start hunger strike at the foot of Raju Sculpture on Tuesday evening, demanding fresh elections to its central student union and hall unions. Photo: Prothom AloHe also said they are observing hunger strike demanding re-elections at the earliest.”Or else, we’ll continue our hunger strike.”The long overdue elections to DUCSU and its hall unions were held on Monday.Quota reform movement leader Nurul Haque Nur was elected vice-president (VP) of DUCSU while Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) general secretary Golam Rabbani its general secretary.Eight among nine secretary posts went to candidates from BCL panel in the elections, marred by allegations of irregularities.BCL is the student wing of ruling Bangladesh Awami League.After the results were published, all panels, except that of the BCL, rejected the results alleging irregularities, and demanded re-election to all the posts except that of VP and Social Welfare post, and announced to boycott classes for an indefinite period.
X 00:00 /01:18 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Gail DelaughterCongressman Randy Weber (R-Friendswood) speaks at the Galveston County Transportation Conference about the importance of long-term federal transportation funding.The U.S. Census Bureau says Galveston County’s population grew by close to 11-percent between 2010 and 2015.And while the county is happy to add to its tax base, local officials say there’s still worried: How do you evacuate all those people before a major hurricane?That was one of the big topics at the first-ever Galveston County Transportation Summit.Precinct 2 Commissioner Joe Giusti says it’s extremely important for Galveston to evacuate first. Because history shows that it will be very difficult for residents to leave the coast.“Then I have a situation like we did during Hurricane Rita when Galveston County’s at the back of a stack when Harris County and everybody else is leaving early,” Giusti says. “And we have people dying in traffic, that’s my biggest fear.” But officials say some new road projects should help more people evacuate faster.In 2019, TxDOT hopes to start the process of widening I-45 from FM 1764 to the Galveston Causeway. It will go from six lanes to eight.Precinct 4 Commissioner Ken Clark believes it will help “If we can get people to leave in a staged fashion, it should really make an evacuation not only efficient but very smooth also,” Clark says.State Highway 146 is also being widened in Seabrook and that includes a new bridge near the Kemah Boardwalk.http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3038372-Galveston-Transportation-Conference.html Listen Share
Share Photo: Gail Delaughter / Houston Public MediaThe City of Houston has cancelled the 4th of July festivities because of heavy rain.Susan Christian, director of the Mayor’s Office of Special Events, announced Wednesday the City of Houston has decided to cancel the Fourth of July festivities that were scheduled to take place at the Eleanor Tinsley park because of the heavy rain that is falling on our area.The fireworks, however, will go on starting at 9:35 p.m.During a media briefing held at City Hall, Christian said City officials are “very disappointed” in having to cancel the event, but noted that they went ahead with “the decision that needed to be made.”Christian also noted the organizers of the ‘Freedom over Texas’ event will refund the price of the tickets to the people who had purchased them.Independence Day celebrations in Missouri City and Katy were also canceled.