Dear Editor,As an Everett, I was irate to learn that my family’s name was used in an attempt to smear a political candidate. The Everetts were long time residents of Wilmington. My mother ran a successful dancing school and donated proceeds to help build the Health Center. My father volunteered for years in Little League, Pony League and Pop Warner. He helped to build the Little League field by the Police Station and a skating rink behind the South School. I grew up in Wilmington and taught for 30+ years as Miss Everett, Mrs. Mosca, or Mrs. Farrar.The name Jack Everett comes from the Urban Dictionary. As copied from the Urban Dictionary:“Jack Everett – a strong leader that sticks up for other people and he will always put others first. lovely eyes and hair. good at sports, he isn’t arrogant, girls drop even when he is standing. he will fight to protect his friends and family”Perhaps, the person who hid behind a cartoon character and our name sees this as themselves. However, I question their integrity. Our family will fight to protect our friends and family, which is why I am writing this. We do not want to be attached to negative campaigns.For 63 of my years, I have lived and/or worked in Wilmington. I am invested in Wilmington. I am angry that our family name has been used in this way and to have been called on this by another hurts all the more.I hope that the people of Wilmington will vote on Election Day and will vote wisely.Sincerely,Sheryl Everett FarrarLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedLETTER TO THE EDITOR: Selectman Mike McCoy Defends Himself From Attacks From Tewksbury Selectman CandidateIn “Letter To The Editor”LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Now I Know Why Residents Don’t Attend Board Of Selectmen’s MeetingsIn “Letter To The Editor”LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bendel & Caira Are Serving For The Right Reasons, Care About ALL ResidentsIn “Letter To The Editor”
0 Share your voice Tech Industry Post a comment Facebook Instagram Fifty people were killed in a terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand, last month when a gunman opened fire at two mosques. Videos of the mass shooting are still reportedly on Facebook and Instagram. Cam McLaren / Getty Images It’s been over a month since a gunman opened fire at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 50 people and livestreaming the massacre on Facebook. It appears the social network, as well as Facebook-owned Instagram, is still showing videos of the attack, according to a Friday report by Motherboard. Some of the videos on the platforms are shorter clips of the original 17-minute footage, the report says. One video on Facebook showing the gunman killing people from a first-person perspective says it potentially contains “violent or graphic content,” but remains on the platform, according to Motherboard. Users can reportedly click to confirm they want to watch the video. “We have designated both shootings as terror attacks, meaning that any praise, support and representation of the events violates our Community Guidelines and is not permitted on Instagram.,” a company representative said. “We will continue to remove these videos from our platform.” Facebook didn’t respond to a request for comment.Facebook has struggled to keep footage of the mass shooting off its site. The social network was criticized after its artificial intelligence systems couldn’t automatically detect video of the terrorist attack. Facebook relies heavily on user reports to flag inappropriate content, and says it didn’t get a report during the live broadcast. The first user report came 12 minutes after the livestream ended, wrote Guy Rosen, vice president of product management, in a blog post last month. It can also be challenging to remove variations of the footage, according to Motherboard. Some videos reportedly showed a screen recording of the content playing on the gunman’s Facebook page, while another featured a person watching part of the clip on Twitter. The social network told Motherboard that it’s “also using audio technology to try and detect clips of the attack.” After it takes down that content, Facebook adds the variations to a list of content to block automatically. The company is reportedly investing in tech and research that can pinpoint tweaked versions of the videos. Originally published April 19 at 3:29 p.m. PT.Update, April 20: Adds comment from Instagram. Tags
Tata Motors total sales in India stood at 33,892 units for the month of April, registering a downfall of 34 percent as against the 51,160 vehicles sold in April last year.The domestic passenger vehicle sales of Tata plunged to 30,670 units in April 2014, from 47,595 units in the corresponding month last year. While the sales figure of Nano, Indica and Indigo cars stood at 5,653 units, the company sold 1,788 units of Sumo, Safari, Aria and Venture vehicles last month.The domestic sales of the commercial vehicle segment declined by 36 percent to 23,229 units from 36,025 units in the corresponding month of the previous year.Tata Motors, which has been staying away from new releases in the country, is gearing up for a comeback with the launch of its Zest and Bolt. Both the vehicles which were first seen at the Delhi Auto Expo 2014 are expected to make the domestic entry around the festive season this year.Tata Bolt will be offered in both petrol and engine options. While the petrol model of the Bolt will come with the 1.2 liter Revotron turbo petrol engine, which can churn out a power of 84 bhp at 5000 rpm and a torque of 140 Nm of 1750-3500 rpm, the diesel version of the car will pack 1.3 liter Multijet diesel motor.On the other hand, Tata Zest, the first sedan in India with Automated Manual Transmission (AMT), will be offered in both petrol and diesel variants. The petrol version of the Zest will be powered by a 1.2 litre, four-cylinder, turbocharged Revotron engine under the hood, which can churn out a power of 85 PS at 5000 RPM and a peak torque of 140 Nm 1750-3000 RPM. The diesel model will come with a 1.3 litre Quadrajet motor, which can generate 90 PS power at 4000 RPM and 200Nm torque at 1750-3000 RPM.(Ed: AJ)
Kolkata: The Bidhannagar City Police on Monday inaugurated a police kiosk at the airport arrival point near gate 2B.”It will work round-the-clock as an assistance booth, along with prepaid taxi booking facility. The kiosk’s construction has been in accordance with the aesthetics of the airport,” a senior police official of Bidhannagar Commissionerate said. The programme was attended by Commissioner of Police, Bidhannagar, Gyanwant Singh, Airport director Atul Dikshit and senior CISF officials. The police are hopeful that the kiosk will play an important role to facilitate the passengers in availing taxi from the airport. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe Airports Authority of India (AAI) has recently urged Bidhannagar City Police to regulate and streamline the movement of the yellow taxis and the app cabs to reduce the waiting time of passengers, after they land at Kolkata Airport, at the Airport Advisory Committee (AAC) meeting. “The drivers of yellow taxis have a tendency to take over the entire pick up lane at the airport arrival level, resulting in congestion and passengers booking app cabs have to wait for a long time. These yellow taxis flout rules and invade the portion of the lane meant for Uber and Ola cabs, to block their way,” a senior AAI official said.
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced on Friday that the state has secured investment proposals worth Rs 2.84 lakh crore in the Bengal Global Business Summit 2019, which is expected to create 8 to 10 lakh jobs in the state.”We have received proposals worth Rs 2,84,288 crore. This is the achievement of BGBS. Investment means business and business means creation of jobs. Whatever investment proposals we have received, will create an additional 8 to 10 lakh jobs in the state,” said Banerjee while speaking at the concluding session of the fifth edition of the two-day summit. Last year, the state had received investment proposals worth Rs 2,19,925 crore. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata Bose”86 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) were signed, 45 business to consumer (B2C) and 1,200 business to business (B2B) meetings were held in these two days. Don’t you think it is a remarkable success? This itself proves the credibility, accountability and sincerity of the participants and the state government,” she said, reiterating that India should tread the path of Bengal in near future. “We don’t allow strikes, suspension of work and workers’ unrest. Our workers are our assets. We have talented youths. Our focus is always on creating more jobs,” she asserted. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: Mamata”It is because of you (delegates) that Bengal has successfully organised the conference. No state in India can do the same like this. With our initiatives and vision, we prove that Bengal is not only the best but also the destination of investments for near future,” Banerjee added. She reiterated that while India has lost 2 crore jobs in 2018 due to demonetisation and hasty implementation of Goods and Service Tax (GST), Bengal has reduced unemployment by 40 percent. The Chief Minister also announced that the state has already added another 100 acres in the Silicon Valley Hub in New Town, in order to accommodate a host of IT firms and academic institutes, namely Capgemini, Tech Mahindra, ISI, Society for Applied Microwave Research and others. The total area of the Silicon Valley will thus be 200 acres. Later, while addressing a Press conference, state Finance and Industry minister Amit Mitra said that 40 percent of the cumulative investment proposals received in the last four summits have been fructified. A report in this regard has been submitted to the Assembly, he said. The state government has also decided that the IT companies of Bantala that are eager to shift to Silicon Valley can do so. “The move will lead to a huge scope for employment in the IT sector,” said Mitra who is also the IT minister. An additional 70 acres has been added in the Bantala Leather Complex to accommodate tanneries from Kanpur and Chennai. The complex currently employs a workforce of 1.2 lakh and with the additional units, it will employ an additional two lakh people. According to Mitra, 51 delegates from UK, 63 from the Republic of Korea, 28 from Italy, 35 from Germany, 35 from Poland, 47 from Japan and 26 from USA participated in the summit. Two apps were launched on the occasion, namely the Shipadisha app for addressing grievances of industrialists and Export Facilitation mobile app for connecting artisans with global exporters. The Chief Minister invited industrialists and overseas delegates to attend the next edition of the global investors’ meet, along with their family members.