Woman who stole chicken fillets is jailed for one month

first_imgA woman has been jailed for stealing a packet of chicken fillets from a frozen food store in Co Donegal.Florica Rostas appeared at Letterkenny District Court charged with taking the 25 fillets at The Igloo in Ballybofey on April 19th last. Ms Rostas, a widow with three children, entered the shop with some children at was found with the food in her coat when she left the shop.Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said he appreciated it had been claimed in the media previously that people from Ms Rosta’s country, Romania, had a reputation for such behaviour.But he added “It’s all that she knew. She did this to feed her family and that’s the reality of her situation.”However, Judge Paul Kelly said that Ms Rostas, of The Green, Convoy, aged 35 had 19 previous convictions and the vast majority of those were for theft.Most of those sentences were suspended jail sentences and some fines.Judge Kelly referred to the previous suspended sentences and said “It ends today. One month in prison.”Woman who stole chicken fillets is jailed for one month was last modified: April 29th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BallybofeychickencourtdonegaljailstoleThe Igloolast_img read more

Proteas overpower Zimbabwe in first ODI

first_img18 August 2014Hashim Amla struck his third century in four one-day internationals to steer South Africa to a convincing 93-run victory over Zimbabwe in a one-day international at Queens Sports Club in Bulawayo on Sunday.The Proteas were put in to bat, but Zimbabwean captain Elton Chigumbura’s decision backfired as Amla and Quinton de Kock put on 109 for the first wicket before De Kock departed for 63 off 69 deliveries.Second century partnershipAmla and Faf du Plessis then added 123 for the second wicket before Du Plessis skied a delivery from Prosper Utseya and was caught by Vusi Sibanda for 59, with the total on 232 in the 43rd over.South African captain Ab de Villiers contributed a quickfire 21 off 12 balls, and JP Duminy struck an unbeaten 22 off of 11 deliveries, to see the Proteas to 309 for 3.Man of the matchMan of the match Amla finished undefeated on 122 from 132 balls, with six fours and three sixes.Off-spinner John Nyumbu picked up 2 for 52 from eight over for the hosts, while fellow spinner Prosper Utseya was the tidiest of the Zimbabwean bowlers, conceding 44 runs from his 10 overs while also removing Du Plessis.Zimbabwean inningsZimbabwe’s reply was propped up by a 100 run stand between Hamilton Mazakadza, who top scored with 61, and Sean Williams, who weighed in with 51, but they regularly lost wickets and their challenge ultimately fell away as they were bowled out for 216 with one ball remaining in their innings.The South African spinners, Aaron Phangiso and Imran Tahir picked up three wickets apiece at a cost of 43 and 44 runs respectively, while Wayne Parnell claimed 2 for 43.PleasedAfter the game, looking back on South Africa’s batting effort on a slow track, South African captain AB de Villiers declared himself very pleased: “There was talk of 250 at one point and even Hash [Amla] said when he came off that he never thought we would get to 300-plus.“I thought it was a great batting performance today. It was set up by the man himself with Quinton [de Kock] and Faf [du Plessis] batting around him.“It shows you that we are quite dangerous with wickets in hand in the last 10 to 15 overs. It was an exceptional batting performance.”Bowling depthDe Villiers also said it was good to win a game without Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel or Vernon Philander in the line-up because it showed the depth of the South African bowling.“I thought we were good in the field as well,” he added. “It’s easy to go into a situation where you lose your energy and focus, especially after the first 15 overs where we started well. I thought the boys stuck to their guns quite well, we kept taking wickets and stuck to our skills.“It was all-round a good 100 overs for us.”last_img read more

No More Wild West For Bring Your Own Devices

first_imgIn June 2007, Apple launched the first iPhone, marking a new era in corporate mobility. Before the fashionable mini-computer, people used smartphones for voice, texting and email. With the iPhone and its remarkable touchscreen users could also be entertained with music, video and games. Corporate executives became so attached to their hip device, they wanted to use it for business, so they bullied IT departments into providing access to email and corporate data. Employees soon joined their bosses and the bring-your-own-device trend began.Six years later, what started out with one smartphone has grown into an army – far too much for the Wild West atmosphere of BYOD to continue as it has been. Many companies that have allowed BYOD will soon be pulling back on such freedoms. While BYOD may not die altogether, it will carry stricter restrictions meant to finally get this trend under control.The Fate Of BYOD“BYOD is clearly an important trend, but we expect it to plateau in the coming one to two years as enterprises decide that the cost and security issues associated with unlimited BYOD do not warrant the anarchy and increased support costs it has often caused,” a recent report from tech analyst J.Gold Associates said.Where the iPhone use to be in a class by itself, the smartphone now competes with Android phones from Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony and 10 other vendors.  In addition, there is the BlackBerry and multiple devices running Microsoft’s Windows Phone.In 2010, Apple added the iPad to the chaos, creating a whole new market for tablet computers that brought lots of competitors from manufacturers in the Android camp.From the beginning, BYOD was a challenge for IT departments, which had to wrestle with data security, device manageability, support and app control. Nevertheless, enterprises went along with the trend and the majority allowed at least some workers to use their personal devices for business.But configuration, workflow and security issues were always making things difficult for IT. For instance, cyber-criminals saw an easy target in Android – with so many devices running older versions of the OS, hackers could target known vulnerabilities that were left unpatched by manufacturers and wireless carriers.BYOD LimitsA survey of enterprises that allow employees to use their own notebooks, smartphones and tablets found that nearly half had experienced a security breach. As a result, more than 40% of the companies either restricted mobile data access or installed security software, according to the poll of more than 400 IT professionals and chief executives conducted by Decisive Analytics and released in August 2012.Despite the breaches, only 12% of companies outright cancelled BYOD programs, an indication that most remained committed to providing flexibility to employees, while moving toward imposing rules.Indeed, Gold found that companies are realizing “the current mostly wide-open, laissez fare approach to BYOD is not sustainable longer term, and that more controls and better strategy are needed.”As companies clamp down on BYOD, employees will likely find they will have to surrender their devices in order for IT departments to install technology to protect corporate data and communications. At the same time, manufacturers are providing more enterprise features in order to ensure their products get approved for work and play.Samsung recently launched technology called SAFE that the vendor boasts brings enterprise-class security to selected devices. People who buy the Galaxy S III or S 4 smartphones, the Galaxy Note II smartphone/tablet hybrid or the Note 10.1 tablet have the option of including SAFE, which provides a container for corporate data and email in order to separate it from personal applications.BlackBerry, which has always been considered the gold standard in device security, has added similar data-separating technology in the new Z10.In time, enterprises are likely to give the nod to those devices that can meet the demands of consumers and businesses and shun those that don’t. So instead of BYOD, the policy of the future will be BYODA, or bring-your-own-device-for-approval.Image courtesy of Shutterstock. Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… Related Posts 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Tags:#Apple#BlackBerry#bring your own device#BYOD#iPad#iPhone#Microsoft#mobile#Samsung#smartphones#tablets#Windows Phone center_img antone gonsalves IT + Project Management: A Love Affair Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo…last_img read more

3 Video Production & Post Related Kickstarter Projects

first_imgCTRL CONSOLE$35,000 goal  •  Technologist Jeff Chow is aiming to introduce a game-changing application into the non-linear video editing marketplace.  As video editors, we’ve adapted to using keyboards (and shortcuts) to do our work.  Jeff makes an interesting point saying that keyboards were meant for typing, not editing.  CTRL CONSOLE takes the keyboard out of the equation – a video editing controller that is optimized for common editing tasks.  This is the highest dollar campaign of the three, but it’s almost the most intensive.  The implications it could have on how we edit video are substantial.Check out the Kickstarter page or video below:BOOMPRO$4,000 goal  •  The BoomPro gives the GoPro camera a new perspective. The BoomPro is essentially a camera mounted boom pole that can attach to a helmet, but instead of facing outward it faces toward the wearer.  This would be great for capturing action sport athletes (cyclists, dirt bikers, etc).  Check out the video for an example of these really cool looking shots.Check out the Kickstarter page or video below: Interested in the future of video production & post? Check out 3 Kickstarter campaigns that are aimed at bringing exciting new video products to market.Crowdsourcing site Kickstarter represents a fair share of independent filmmakers and content creators, but there’s also projects aimed at improving video production and editing tools.  The following 3 Kickstarter campaigns each hope to make their video related products available to the professional community.  Check them out below or head over to their Kickstarter pages to give them a funding boost!ANAMORPHICA$8,000 goal  •  The gang behind Anamorphica recently reached out to us to tell us about their newest Kickstarter project.  They hope to create a pack of high quality anamorphic lens flares that are accessible to independent filmmakers, giving them a high-dollar “Hollywood look”.  The flares will be created organically, so the funds are going to renting cameras and anamorphic lenses for creating the effects.  The resulting product will be a pack of 20 flares that can add punch to any film or video project.Check out the Kickstarter page or video below:last_img read more

Fire damages property at Army camp near LoC

first_imgThe Army on Tuesday said a fire broke out in north Kashmir’s Machil Sector, resulting in the damage of infrastructure. An Army spokesman said the fire broke out at 2 p.m. and was brought under control. “Some damage to property took place,” said the spokesman, without divulging any details.Unofficial reports suggest an entire Army camp was taken over by the flames located close to the Line of Control in the Machil Sector in Kupwara. It housed the soldiers of the Army’s 44 Rashtriya Rifles headquartered at Hamar Gali in the Machil sector.The fire damaged large parts of the camp, which housed oil barrels and some ammunition. However, the Army has been silent over the details of the damage. “There was no loss of life. The cause of the fire is being ascertained,” said the Army spokesman.last_img read more

Minister Joly Meets with Creative Sector Organizations in Montréal to Better Support

first_imgDuring the meeting today, the Minister spoke with representatives from several organizations about finding long-term solutions to ensure safe workplace environments. . The stakeholders who met today agree on the need to work together to address concerns and promote a healthy work environment for all.The meeting hosted by Telefilm Canada was attended by Telefilm Canada representatives, the Canada Media Fund, the National Film Board of Canada, the Association québécoise de la production médiatique, the Association des réalisateurs et réalisatrices de film du Québec, Société des auteurs de radio, télévision et cinéma and the Union des artistes. Advertisement Advertisement MONTREAL – On Jan. 23rd, the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, participated in a meeting hosted by Telefilm Canada on the topic of harassment in the workplace in the creative sector. On January 5, Minister Joly requested the review of Canadian Heritage funding policies to encourage organizations to put in place measures that promote safe and harassment-free workplaces. Facebook Advertisementcenter_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: These stakeholder discussions are part of an ongoing series of industry initiatives aimed at finding concrete solutions.The Minister reiterated her support for these industry-shared approaches and committed to working with partners within the creative sector to ensure the health, safety and dignity of those working in arts and culture in Canada.Canadian Heritage aims to find ways to support workers by moving forward with projects such as toolkits and sharing of best practices, in order to provide the creative sector with the resources required to address workplace harassment issues.Quotes“Each and every Canadian deserves respect. The #metoo movement is not a passing moment: it’s a call to action. As a Minister and as a woman, this issue is close to my heart, and I am committed to doing my part to tackle issues of harassment in the arts and culture sector. I extend my wholehearted support to victims, and I am confident that together we will find solutions to eradicate this serious problem. I would like to thank Telefilm Canada for taking the lead on this important issue.”—The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage“Telefilm Canada is committed to working with industry in order to develop viable solutions. This approach has helped us achieve positive results in terms of gender equality in our industry, and we believe it is the best direction going forward. These calls to action reinforce our vision and our goal to build, together, a healthy and motivating industry for all.”—Carolle Brabant, Executive Director, Telefilm CanadaRelated ProductsStatement on the Importance of ‎Harassment-free Work Environments in the Creative Sector Twitterlast_img read more

WHATS SHOOTING IN ONTARIO – AS OF MAR2318 – LINKS BY DGC

first_imgAdvertisement WHAT’S SHOOTING IN ONTARIO – AS OF MAR-23-18DGC (Director’s Guild of Canada) Hotlist – CLICK HERE (37 page PDF)OMDC (Ontario Media Development Corporation) MEDIA LIST – CLICK HERE (3-page PDF) Facebook ACTRA – CLICK HEREIATSE 873 – CLICK HERE.LOOKING FOR A JOB?  CHECK OUT OUR CASTING, JOB & CREW NOTICESCASTING A PRODUCTION? HIRING CREW? POST YOUR NOTICE HERETO VIEW OR POST CASTING NOTICES: CLICK HERETO VIEW OR POST CREW & JOB NOTICES: CLICK HERE.ARE YOU A FREELANCER?  CREW?  DO YOU WORK BEHIND THE SCENES?ARE YOU A PRODUCTION COMPANY?DO YOU PROVIDE A SERVICE TO THE INDUSTRY?ADD YOUR COMPANY (OR YOUR SERVICES) TO THE PRODUCTION DIRECTORYRegister & List your company in the FREE eBOSS PRODUCTION DIRECTORYCLICK HERE.DEALS AND DISCOUNTSCheck out our deals page for discounts on events, restaurants, industry services, health and fitness, auto services and much more – CLICK HERE.FOLLOW eBOSS CANADA ON SOCIAL MEDIA  The Entertainment Business One-Stop ShopFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/eboss.canada/Twitter: https://twitter.com/eBOSSCanadaInstagram: https://www.instagram.com/eBOSSCanada/YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/ebosscanada.[DOWNLOAD-THE-APP] Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Twitterlast_img read more

Inviting indigenous people into economy means 277B economic boost report

first_imgThe Canadian PressOTTAWA _ The National Aboriginal Economic Development Board says Canada’s GDP would get an annual boost of $27.7 billion if barriers were removed to ensure Indigenous people can participate in the economy.The group’s latest report, to be released Tuesday, says equal economic opportunity for Indigenous peoples would help Canada address ongoing economic challenges caused by low productivity and demographic pressure from an aging population.It also notes the productivity of Canada’s Aboriginal Peoples would match that of their non-Indigenous counterparts if they received the same level of education and training.The report says an additional $8.5 billion in income could be earned every year by the Indigenous workforce if education and training gaps are closed.For example, it suggests B.C. could stand to benefit to the tune of $1.4 billion a year in additional income earned by more than 125,000 workers, while Ontario could bring in an additional $2 billion through more than 169,000 workers.The board says the Indigenous labour force is underutilized, despite the fact the Indigenous population is young and growing fast.Dawn Madahbee Leach, the board’s interim chair, says economic development can also assist in reconciliation efforts.“I can tell you first-hand, when somebody is provided with a job, they are able to provide for their families with regards to basic needs like shelter and food and then they become a role model for their children,” she said.“This report deals … with helping our people to help themselves through employment, through education and training.”news@aptn.calast_img read more