Rocky World Is 17 Times as Massive as Earth

first_imgMost massive alien worlds are gas giants like Jupiter. But now, astronomers say they’ve found a new type of exoplanet: a rocky world much larger than Earth that may boast only a thin sheath of an atmosphere. The orb in question (in the foreground of artist’s concept), dubbed Kepler-10c, circles its 11-billion-year-old, sunlike star once every 45 days. Previously estimated to have a diameter about 2.3 times that of Earth (giving it a volume slightly more than 12 times our planet’s), new observations with ground-based sensors suggest that Kepler-10c is 17 times as hefty as Earth, the researchers report today in Boston at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society and in a forthcoming issue of The Astrophysical Journal. Those figures for mass and volume—which suggest a dense, rocky composition and seemingly discount a large, thick atmosphere—peg the planet as the first rocky “mega-Earth” to be found. Kepler-10c is surprising, the researchers say: Previously, astronomers surmised that any planet that massive would have gravitationally slurped up gases in its neighborhood as it formed, eventually growing to become a gas giant like those in the outer reaches of our solar system. The existence of large rocky worlds like Kepler-10c may boost the chances of potentially habitable worlds throughout the cosmos, the researchers contend.last_img read more

beixf phpsdk phpsdk1418 httpswwwbl

first_img be_ixf; php_sdk; php_sdk_1.4.18 https://www.blackenterprise.com/road-techconnext-mary-spio-engineer/ https://www.blackenterprise.com/road-techconnext-mary-spio-engineer/ LIFESTYLEMONEYOur Best Videos Born in Syracuse, NY, but raised in Ghana, Spio obtained a Masters  in electrical engineering and computer science from Georgia Institute of Technology and earned a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering degree from Syracuse University. She is the recipient of the prestigious Yueh-Ying Hu Memorial National Award for Innovation and the Boeing Outstanding Achievement in Electrical Engineering Award.Spio is also an accomplished author. She’s written a novel, A Song for Carmine, and It’s Not Rocket Science—7 Game-Changing Traits for Achieving Uncommon Success, published by Penguin Books last year.Yet, it’s not as though success comes effortlessly to this talented woman. She faces the same challenges of most black female entrepreneurs.In a blog post, Spio wrote:“…more than 97% of the billions of venture funding went to companies with male CEOs; leaving a mere 3% in funding for women-headed companies. This hits very close to home for me. People are shocked when they learn of the difficulty I’m having getting my company  CEEK VR funded, in spite of the fact that we are a revenue generating virtual reality distribution platform used by industry giants such as Universal Music, Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, Berkshire Hathaway’s Richline just to name a few.”Meet Engineers at TechConneXt Despite it all, she thrives. She further advises about launching a successful business venture as a woman of color, “I’m not suggesting that it’s impossible. It takes longer to break through the wall than to walk through the door. It is only through deliberate, proactive linkages that we will change behaviors and ultimately mindsetsEngineers and other STEM professionals will lend thier vast insight and experiences to attendees at Black Enterprise‘s TechConneXt Technology Summit.Register for Black Enterprise’s TechConneXt Technology Summit: The Intersection of Innovation and Opportunity, held October 10-11, 2016 at the San Francisco Marriott Waterfront Hotel! Not many engineers are named alongside Oprah Winfrey as NBC News’ 100 History Makers in the Making. However, not many engineers are Mary Spio.Spio is a deep space engineer who honed her skills as a wideband/satellite communications technician in the United States Air Force. She worked on high-tech systems including digital microwave radios, high and low-speed digital multiplexers, fiber-optic communications sets, and encrypted devices.Today, Spio is the founder of Ceek VR Inc.–a platform that brings social events to life through virtual reality, using any VR headset and one single app, the Ceek VR app.Engineer, Entrepreneur, and Authorlast_img read more