Apr 13, 2009Egypt reports two more H5N1 outbreaksAnimal health officials in Egypt recently reported two new H5N1 avian influenza outbreaks in backyard poultry, according to the Egypt-based Strengthening Avian Influenza Detection and Response (SAIDR). The virus infected 12 chickens in a village in Suez governorate, and the vaccination status of the birds was not known. Meanwhile, the virus hit 34 unvaccinated poultry of various kinds in a village in Beni Suef governorate. The outbreak was detected through active surveillance.Russia targets poultry vaccination to migration hotspotRussia’s agricultural oversight agency, Rosselkhoznadzor, today announced the start of a major push to vaccinate backyard poultry in the Altai region against the H5N1 avian influenza virus, Itar-Tass, Russia’s news agency, reported. Officials said the Altai region is at risk for H5N1 outbreaks because it is on a route for migrating birds from Asia, where the H5N1 virus is more prevalent.Jakarta to consolidate backyard poultryIn an effort to control the spread of the H5N1 avian influenza virus, Indonesia’s agriculture ministry recently announced plans to corral all poultry in residential Jakarta neighborhoods into four centrally located poultry shelters, according to a report in the April issue of Poultry Indonesia magazine. The city government said it will build the four structures and that all chickens in the city must be confined to the areas by Apr 24, 2010. Construction on one shelter, designed to hold 1 million birds, is nearly complete, but work hasn’t begun on the other three.Report says UK won’t urge flu shots for childrenThe United Kingdom’s expert panel on immunization has decided not to recommend influenza vaccination for children, according to Pulse, a weekly newsletter for British physicians. The UK Department of Health had asked its medical advisers to review the issue after a modeling study by Health Protection Agency researchers predicted that vaccinating children could reduce flu in the general population by up to 70%, the report said. But the minutes of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation make clear that flu shots would not be recommended for children, according to Pulse. Professor Andy Hall, chair of the committee, said there was not enough evidence that current flu vaccines are effective in young children. The British policy contrasts with that of the United States, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all children aged 6 months to 18 years receive annual flu immunizations.Chicago health officials track contacts of TB-infected doctorA 26-year-old pediatric resident working in Chicago was diagnosed as having tuberculosis (TB) on Apr 7 and might have exposed patients at three area hospitals to the disease, the Chicago Tribune reported on Apr 11. None of the woman’s patients or coworkers have so far been diagnosed with TB. Though the three hospitals have said the risk to patients is “minimal,” they are contacting patients who were exposed to the resident. Northwestern Memorial Hospital said in an Apr 10 press release that at least 17 patients—some of them women who delivered babies—were exposed to the woman at its Prentice Women’s Hospital between Nov 3 and 19, 2008, and that another 100 may have received care from her. Evanston Hospital said today that a limited number of patients and staff in the facility’s special infant care unit were potentially exposed to the doctor between Feb 11 and Mar 12. She most recently worked at Children’s Memorial Hospital, where hospital officials said she had contact with at least 150 children and more than 300 workers, the Tribune reported. Susan Gerber, MD, chief medical officer of the Chicago Department of Public Health, said the woman’s infection was “susceptible and sensitive” to treatment and that health officials are investigating a trip she made as a medical student in late 2007 to an HIV clinic in Botswana.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Three years ago, Fort Lauderhill had witnessed 489 runs in a single Twenty20 contest between West Indies and India. Evin Lewis and KL Rahul blasted centuries as West Indies won by one run in their defence of 245. In 2019, at the same venue, it was the turn of the bowlers to fight back. Navdeep Saini, who had struggled to get into the Delhi team but managed to make it only because Gautam Gambhir backed him, put up a brilliant performance. Saini took two wickets in his first over and bowled a wicket maiden in the final over as he took 3/17 to restrict West Indies to 95/9. In response, Sunil Narine and Keemo Paul bowled brilliantly and kept West Indies in the hunt but India managed to scrape through by four wickets in their chase of 96 to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series. India chose to bowl on a dry pitch and they struck immediately when Washington Sundar got the wicket of John Campbell. In the next over, Evin Lewis, who has scored two tons against India, was flummoxed by a slower knuckleball from Bhuvneshwar to fall for 0. Nicholas Pooran struck some big blows but Saini made an immediate impact. His first wicket came courtesy a pacy short ball which Pooran top-edged to the keeper and in the very next ball, Shimron Hetmyer dragged a short ball outside off back onto the stumps. With India striking at regular intervals, West Indies found the going incredibly tough. Kieron Pollard was batting with confidence and he launched two sixes off Krunal Pandya. Pollard found no support at the other end and wickets tumbled at the other end. In the final over, with Pollard nearing his 15th fifty, Saini produced a brilliant over where he nailed the wide yorker brilliantly and managed to deny Pollard his fifty by opting for a smart review as West Indies floundered to 95/9.In response, Shikhar Dhawan was LBW to Sheldon Cottrell for 1 but Rohit Sharma looked in good touch. Kohli struggled to find his timing going on a sluggish wicket but Rohit kept the scoreboard ticking. Rohit blasted a six and four off Cottrell but in the quest for aggression holed out to long on for 24. Rishabh Pant, the first choice keeper for the entire West Indies tour, holed out to long leg first ball as India wobbled. Manish Pandey struck some glorious shots but when he and Kohli fell in quick succession, the game seemed evenly poised. Sluggishly, Krunal Pandya and Ravindra Jadeja made progress and they benefited from some loose West Indies fielding in the end. However, the target was too little to cause India any panic barring a major miracle and Sundar sealed the deal with a six as India started their tour of the West Indies in not such an ideal fashion. highlights India won their fourth consecutive T20I against West Indies.Kieron Pollard missed out on his 15th fifty.Navdeep Saini registered superb figures of 3/17.
The Big House will not be at full capacity in 2020. Michigan announced Wednesday that attendance will be reduced or games will be played without fans if there is a college football season in 2020. As a result, there will no season tickets for football. Michigan Stadium is the largest college football stadium, with a capacity of 107,601. On May 20, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh addressed the logistical problems of filling a stadium of that size with fans while trying to play a game. MORE: Four things we’ll miss in 2020 with a conference-only schedule”You could definitely test both teams and the officials, but can you test 100,000 fans coming into a stadium?” Harbaugh said. “Probably not. Heck yeah, I would be comfortable coaching a game without any fans. If the choice was to play in front of fans or not play, I would choose play in front of no fans.” The Big Ten moved to a conference-only scheduling model last week, the first Power 5 conference to make that move. “We have been working closely with a wide variety of leaders to ensure a safe and healthy environment for our student-athletes, coaches, fans and support staff associated with a game at Michigan Stadium,” Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said in the release Wednesday. “We will follow the direction that all of these agencies and experts continue to provide during this challenging time.”Michigan also announced decisions regarding ticket policies. Season ticket-holder status and location will be retained for 2021, according to the university. Tickets for home games in 2020 would be sold on a game-by-game basis if there is a season, and sales would be limited to season-ticket holders and students. All ticketing for sporting events will move to a mobile platform.
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):Director of Cricket, Richard Pybus, chairman of selectors, Clive Lloyd, and newly appointed West Indies head coach, Phil Simmons, will sit down with coaches from the six regional franchises today to discuss crucial matters ahead of November’s start of the Professional Cricket League (PCL).Pybus, who will chair the meeting, said the coaches’ conference would allow every coach to be on the same page. Conveying their challenges while also networking to share tips and advice with each other.”It’s the first sitting of the franchise coaches with us and to get them all aware of what are our common goals as we approach the second season of operation of the PCL,” Pybus said.”It is very important that they also have the opportunity to share the challenges which they face at the franchise level, as we work together to build a world-class cricket-performance system.”At the end of the day, the goal is for us to be producing international quality players for the West Indies and we need to be able to identify what challenges we face and streamline the system, so that it works efficiently.”He added: “It’s also an opportunity for the coaches to network with fellow coaches and take practical examples back to their franchises, so that we are able to advance West Indies cricket.”Simmons, a former West Indies player, said the conference would be an important one as issues of training methodologies, fitness standards, and player evaluations would be discussed.”This is one of the first things for which I asked when I was appointed West Indies head coach, so that we can outline to everybody where we want them to be and where we want the players to be,” said Simmons.The conference will be attended by Hendy Springer and Dexter Toppin of Barbados Pride; Esuan Crandon and Rayon Griffith of Guyana Jaguars, Junior Bennett of Jamaica Scorpions, Reginald Benjamin of Leeward Islands Hurricanes, Gus Logie of Trinidad & Tobago Red Force and Ian Allen of Windward Islands Volcanoes.The PCL, the West Indies Cricket Board’s first class season, was staged for the first time last year with Guyana Jaguars lifting the title.
After billionGovernment has abandoned its original plans to develop D’Urban Park into a “world-class” arena consisting of tennis courts, tracks and play facilities for children.Several articles in the State media outlined that the facility, which has been in much controversy since its inception, was to be developed into a “state-of-the-art, world-class arena to seat 30,000 persons, twice the capacity of the Guyana National Stadium at Providence.”Public Relations Consultant, Alex Graham, in a PowerPoint presentation on the project, disclosed plans to designate part of the arena for sporting activities, including lawn tennis, go-cart racing, basketball, jogging and walking tracks, along with other family oriented facilities.According to an article published in a State-friendly newspaper, the stadium is intended to be “iconic, transformative and architecturally relevant, combining historic elements with vistas of the future”.The article states that the complex was to be designed in three sections: – the promenade, stadium and Health and Recreational Park.The promenade would have consisted of nine ponds, each for a former President of Guyana while the health and recreational park would have had play facilities for children.But Guyanese will have to say goodbye to those plans as D’Urban Park will remain as is, with its unpainted wooden bleachers and dull facilities.President David Granger on his televised programme – ‘The Public Interest’ – that there are no immediate plans to enhance the current structure or appearance of D’Urban Park.In fact, he denied claims that D’Urban Park was ever meant to be transformed into a topnotch stadium.“It is not meant to surpass the National Stadium or Leonora Stadium in terms of its beauties and facilities but it is functional… There are no immediate plans underAn artist’s impression of what D’Urban Park was intended to bethe Ministry of Education, particularly the Department responsible for Culture, Youth and Sport. And there are no short-term plans to make it into a state-of-the-art facility,” President Granger explained.Nonetheless, he said the intention is for D’Urban Park to be used for national events which attract masses.D’Urban Park presently that cost the Treasury close to $1 billionControversies surrounding the D’Urban Park Project exploded when it was finally revealed to the public that Education Minister, Dr Rupert Roopnaraine sits as a Director of a secret company which was established to collect funds from private companies to develop the Jubilee Park.This information was initially omitted by Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson when he was being drilled by Opposition Members of Parliament (MP) in the National Assembly last year. (Devina Samroo)