Apr 13, 2009Egypt reports two more H5N1 outbreaksAnimal health officials in Egypt recently reported two new H5N1 avian influenza outbreaks in backyard poultry, according to the Egypt-based Strengthening Avian Influenza Detection and Response (SAIDR). The virus infected 12 chickens in a village in Suez governorate, and the vaccination status of the birds was not known. Meanwhile, the virus hit 34 unvaccinated poultry of various kinds in a village in Beni Suef governorate. The outbreak was detected through active surveillance.Russia targets poultry vaccination to migration hotspotRussia’s agricultural oversight agency, Rosselkhoznadzor, today announced the start of a major push to vaccinate backyard poultry in the Altai region against the H5N1 avian influenza virus, Itar-Tass, Russia’s news agency, reported. Officials said the Altai region is at risk for H5N1 outbreaks because it is on a route for migrating birds from Asia, where the H5N1 virus is more prevalent.Jakarta to consolidate backyard poultryIn an effort to control the spread of the H5N1 avian influenza virus, Indonesia’s agriculture ministry recently announced plans to corral all poultry in residential Jakarta neighborhoods into four centrally located poultry shelters, according to a report in the April issue of Poultry Indonesia magazine. The city government said it will build the four structures and that all chickens in the city must be confined to the areas by Apr 24, 2010. Construction on one shelter, designed to hold 1 million birds, is nearly complete, but work hasn’t begun on the other three.Report says UK won’t urge flu shots for childrenThe United Kingdom’s expert panel on immunization has decided not to recommend influenza vaccination for children, according to Pulse, a weekly newsletter for British physicians. The UK Department of Health had asked its medical advisers to review the issue after a modeling study by Health Protection Agency researchers predicted that vaccinating children could reduce flu in the general population by up to 70%, the report said. But the minutes of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation make clear that flu shots would not be recommended for children, according to Pulse. Professor Andy Hall, chair of the committee, said there was not enough evidence that current flu vaccines are effective in young children. The British policy contrasts with that of the United States, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all children aged 6 months to 18 years receive annual flu immunizations.Chicago health officials track contacts of TB-infected doctorA 26-year-old pediatric resident working in Chicago was diagnosed as having tuberculosis (TB) on Apr 7 and might have exposed patients at three area hospitals to the disease, the Chicago Tribune reported on Apr 11. None of the woman’s patients or coworkers have so far been diagnosed with TB. Though the three hospitals have said the risk to patients is “minimal,” they are contacting patients who were exposed to the resident. Northwestern Memorial Hospital said in an Apr 10 press release that at least 17 patients—some of them women who delivered babies—were exposed to the woman at its Prentice Women’s Hospital between Nov 3 and 19, 2008, and that another 100 may have received care from her. Evanston Hospital said today that a limited number of patients and staff in the facility’s special infant care unit were potentially exposed to the doctor between Feb 11 and Mar 12. She most recently worked at Children’s Memorial Hospital, where hospital officials said she had contact with at least 150 children and more than 300 workers, the Tribune reported. Susan Gerber, MD, chief medical officer of the Chicago Department of Public Health, said the woman’s infection was “susceptible and sensitive” to treatment and that health officials are investigating a trip she made as a medical student in late 2007 to an HIV clinic in Botswana.
Border guards fired at him in accordance with standing instructions, it said.There was no immediate confirmation of the contents from the North, whose state media did not mention the incident on Friday.North Korean defector turned Seoul-based researcher Ahn Chan-il said it was “extremely rare for the North’s supreme commander to offer an apology, especially to South Koreans and their President”. “I think this is the first since the 1976 Korean axe murder incident,” he said, referring to the killing of two US officers in the Demilitarized Zone that divides the peninsula.Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, added: “Kim Jong Un’s supposed apology reduces the risk of escalation between the two Koreas and keeps the Moon government’s hopes for engagement alive.”It was a “diplomatic move” which “avoids a potential fight in the short-term and preserves the option of reaping longer-term benefits from Seoul”, he said. The fisheries official was shot dead on Tuesday by North Korean soldiers, and Seoul says his body was set on fire while still in the water, apparently as a precaution against coronavirus infection.Kim was “very sorry” for the “unexpected and disgraceful event” that had “disappointed President Moon and South Koreans”, rather than helping them in the face of the “malicious coronavirus”, said Suh Hoon, the South’s National Security Adviser.Suh was reading out a letter from the department of the North’s ruling party responsible for relations with the South.In it, Pyongyang acknowledged firing around 10 shots at the man, who had “illegally entered our waters” and refused to properly identify himself. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un issued a rare apology Friday over what he described as the “unexpected and disgraceful” killing of a South Korean at sea, Seoul’s presidential office said.Apologies from the North — let alone attributed to Kim personally — are extremely unusual, and the message comes with inter-Korean ties in deep freeze as well as a stand-off in nuclear negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington.Analysts said the North was looking to placate its neighbor after the shooting — the first time its forces killed a Southern citizen for a decade — provoked outrage in the South. ‘Abominable act’ The killing provoked fury in the South, with President Moon Jae-in — a consistent advocate of better relations with Pyongyang — saying it was “shocking” and could not be tolerated for any reason.In an editorial Friday, the Korea JoongAng Daily said it was “enraged at the North’s abominable act”. “The act of murdering an unarmed man and burning his body cannot be excused in any way,” it said.The man — who was wearing a life jacket — disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, and North Korean forces located him in their waters more than 24 hours later.South Korean media reports said he was in his forties with two children, but had recently divorced and had financial problems.Seoul military officials say the man was interrogated while in the water over several hours and expressed a desire to defect, but was killed after an “order from superior authority”.The North’s letter said his body was no longer visible after the shooting and troops set his flotation device — which was covered in blood — on fire in accordance with national emergency prevention regulations.North Korea’s crumbling health system would struggle to cope with a major virus outbreak but it has not confirmed a single case of the disease that has swept the world after taking drastic steps to prevent local coronavirus infections.Pyongyang closed its border with China in January and state media said authorities had raised a state of emergency to the maximum level in July. Pyongyang put the border city of Kaesong under lockdown in the same month after a defector who had fled South three years ago sneaked back over the heavily fortified border, with he could have carried the disease into the country.US Forces Korea commander Robert Abrams said earlier this month that North Korean authorities had issued shoot-to-kill orders to prevent the coronavirus entering from China, creating a “buffer zone” at the border. Topics :
Published on June 30, 2012 at 10:27 am Contact Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org | @Michael_Cohen13 BOCA RATON, Fla. — Leave it to Jovan Miller to put on a show.The former Syracuse midfielder whose flair is affluent and whose personality is infectious seemed destined for the Bud Light Skills Competition at the Major League Lacrosse All-Star Game.So when the crowd wasn’t loud enough prior to his second attempt in the freestyle competition, Miller sprinted down the field with his hand to his ear in an attempt to rally support for “Jovi Nation.”He proceeded to jump over a young female fan, catch a ball in mid air and fire it home past the goaltender. This after an exciting behind-the-back 360 he pulled off in the first round.“I knew I was going to have to do something with my athleticism,” Miller said. “I’m not big on stick tricks and stuff, so I was going to have to be creative.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“As far as the 360, I’ve been practicing a few weeks for that. I’m not going to lie, I was pretty pumped about it.”Miller, who plays for the Charlotte Hounds, was one of five former Syracuse players participating in Saturday’s All-Star Game held at FAU Stadium on the campus of Florida Atlantic University. He was joined by former teammates Stephen Keogh and Joel White on the Young Guns team, while Casey Powell and Steven Brooks played for team Old School.In typical all-star fashion, there was little defense on Saturday with team Old School holding on for an 18-17 win. But that didn’t matter to the crowd of close to 5,000 that was enthralled by a flurry of behind-the-back, between-the-legs and other outrageous shot attempts. And when Brooks scored the game-winning goal with less than two minutes to go, Syracuse had left its imprint firmly on Major League Lacrosse.The SU players put on a clinic at the skills competition held at halftime as well. In addition to Miller participating in the freestyle competition, White, a midfielder who plays for the Rochester Rattlers, took home the title in the obstacle course and Brooks finished second in the speed-shooting challenge.Miller ultimately fell just short to Hamilton Nationals goalie Brett Queener, who tossed his stick in the air and kicked the ball into the net after a series of fancy fakes and dance moves. Yes, dance moves.White navigated the obstacle course with ease, showing off the foot speed that made him a college All-American to cruise to a victory in 14.62 seconds.“This opportunity is just great,” White said. “It’s something you will cherish being out here with all this talent.”And to show that the old guys still have it, Brooks, a midfielder for the Chesapeake Bayhawks who graduated from SU in 2008, clocked in at 105 miles per hour on his two attempts in the speed-shooting event. He finished second to Kyle Hartzell, 6-foot-2 defender, who tied the MLL record with a 111 mile-per-hour rocket.As for the game itself, the oldest SU alum was arguably the most impressive. Powell, who graduated from Syracuse in 1998 and is the all-time leading scorer in MLL history, scored two goals and had one assist.His second goal of the game came off a beautiful maneuver that began behind the goal. He darted out in front of the crease and scored high on the near post after a low fake.“He’s unbelievable, man, I’ll tell you what,” White said. “It’s an honor to be on the field with him.”Miller, who treated the game as a glorified freestyle competition anyway, impressed the fans with his creative dunk-like attempt in the first quarter. He took a running start and leapt audaciously from behind the goal, attempting to go over the top and slam the ball into the net.Though the attempt went awry, he couldn’t help but smile. Miller has always been an entertainer, and Saturday’s All-Star game was the perfect setting.“It’s an All-Star game, so I get to play around for a bit,” Miller said. “I absolutely loved it. It was everything I thought it would be.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+