Bruckless native Danny Byrne has been elected to the Dublin City Council for Ringsend area of Dublin City. The south Donegal man was elected for Fine Gael following the fifth count on Sunday evening.Mr Byrne was previously an estate agent and had been living in the Dublin area since 2005. Part of the Lost at Sea Tragedies Organisation, Byrne lost his father and brother in a tragic accident in 1981 at sea.In 2018, the Byrne family who had secured the Ombudsman’s support for State compensation over exclusion from a Government scheme has finally been sent a cheque for a six-figure sum.The Bruckless residents received an ex-gratia payment from Minister for Marine Michael Creed, after a 14-year battle over her exclusion from the “Lost at Sea scheme” to support families whose vessels had sunk. Francis Byrne and 16-year-old Jimmy Byrne, and three other crew died when their fishing vessel Skifjord sank 38 years ago. Donegal native elected to Dublin City Council was last modified: May 27th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
ARCATA >> Following a pair of non-conference games where things were a little closer than some might have thought, the Jacks got to breathe a little easier down the stretch Monday night.It was in large part because of what they did the first 35 minutes or so.Getting contributions from up and down the roster, the Humboldt State men’s basketball team hit 19 3-pointers en route to a season-high point total and rolled to a convincing 111-78 win over Simpson University at Lumberjack Arena.“Offensi …
9 June 2014Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer declared himself pleased with his team’s performance after they defeated a strong World XV 47-13 at Newlands in Cape Town on Saturday.The match proved to be ideal preparation for the international season for the Boks as Meyer was able to give his full squad a run-out.Made to work hardDespite the big margin of victory, they were made to work hard for the win by a team laden with big names. It was only after the break that the men in green and gold managed to take charge of the contest.They scored six tries in total and picked up a lot of momentum in the second half of the match after leading only 18-13 at the break.Meyer, however, warned that the first of two tests against Wales, to be played in Durban on Saturday, will be another big step-up for his team, as the Welsh are a settled team.‘Wales will be well prepared’“Wales will be well prepared,” Meyer said. “They are a quality side with big backs, which will give them go-forward ball. They also played together in the Six Nations, while we are just starting out.”The coach said he was happy with a number of aspects of his team’s play and feels they will be much better prepared with another week of training.“This match was important to us, because we have to play together as a team to become better. I believe we are a very dangerous team when we play with quick ball and that was something that I was unhappy about at the break. I had some harsh words for the players about the penalties conceded in the first half.“In the second half, we applied ourselves better at the breakdown and we scored some very good tries. To score six, seven tries against a side with the quality of this World XV is very pleasing,” he reckoned.No injuriesThe Springboks departed for Durban on Sunday with no immediate injury concerns.“There are no injuries, and that is great news for us,” said the coach, who had a large number of players unavailable for selection for the World XV match because of injuries.“We also scored some great tries with a number of them coming from the training fields, so I am happy. We knew it was going to be tough and we came though well.”Matfield satisfiedSpringbok captain Victor Matfield, who returned to team for the first time since 2011, said the side’s play improved pleasingly as the game progressed.“In the beginning, we did not execute well, but once we managed to get into their half, we played well,” said Matfield. “It was a very good World XV, which gave us a lot of problems in the beginning.“On a personal level, it was good to be back playing for the Springboks again. It always remains a massive honour.”SAinfo reporter
In the absence of power supply, most residents of Barinpurwa have solar panels, ranging from 20 to 100 watts, installed on their rooftops or in the open. Ranjeeta has a 40-watt solar panel, which cost her ₹4,500, installed on her roof. “I bought it 10 months ago. It serves basic needs but during foggy days and during the rains we have to live in darkness,” she said.While the Centre recently claimed that it had electrified the last inhabited village in the country, 3.13 crore households in India still live without electricity. The highest number of such households are in Uttar Pradesh, 1.33 crore.Only 56% households are electrified in the state, as per the Centre’s Saubhagya scheme portal. Only Jharkhand fares worse than UP, at 48%.The figure for Barabanki, where Barinpurwa is located, is below average, at 51%, but slightly better than districts like Jalaun, Jhansi and Lalitpur, all in Bundelkhand, which have only 25, 27 and 26% of households electrified even today.Last September, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Saubhagya scheme to provide “last mile connectivity and service connections to all remaining households in both rural and urban areas to achieve universal household electrification” by December 31, 2018. The task in UP is clearly uphill. According to the state government, from October 2017 to March 2018, it gave out 15.88 lakh power connections under the scheme, out of which 8.77 lakh were handed out to poor families. Oil lamp is the popular source of light in Barinpurwa. | Photo Credit: Rajeev Bhatt | Photo Credit: Rajeev Bhatt The market of Tiwaripur majra in Kolahda village where residents have installed solar panel in open area. According to Saubhagya portal, 4.21 lakh households were electrified in UP in January, 5.41 lakh in February, 1.50 lakh in March and 2.45 lakh in April. Last year, the state also claimed to provide electricity to 61,000 majras and targets another 62 lakh in 2018.However, residents of Tiwaripur majra in Kolahda village are still without power. Shailendri Tiwari’s house is one of them. Electric wires pass through right outside her house, but the family still does not have a power connection.The poles supply power to the next hamlet as hers is still being surveyed by officials. “When the power department people came to install these poles, I asked them to connect it to my house, but they demanded ₹35,000 for the cables and transformer. Now, if I had that much money, wouldn’t I purchase a big solar roof?” asked Shailendri.Her family depends on tiny emergency lights, which are charged through a 20-watt solar panel. She does not use lamps as she is no longer entitled for kerosene. The lack of electric supply poses great challenges to her four daughters, all of whom are in school. The family has been regularly writing to the electricity department requesting electrification of their majra. On February 5, the department finally wrote back saying that the majra was still being surveyed under the ‘Power for All’ scheme, which was launched jointly by the Centre and state last April, and that the households would be electrified by December 2018.Executive engineer of the UP Power Corporation (Madhyanchal), Bhaskar, said the households still left to be electrified were being surveyed and on April 12 the work in his area had been deputed to Bajaj Electricals.“They are carrying out the door-to-door survey, finding out which village has households left behind. They will also do the electrification bit, be it fitting poles or putting up transformers,” said Bhaskar.UP Power Minister Shrikant Sharma said he was confident of achieving the target of total electrification of the remaining households in the state by December as the infrastructure for Saubhagya scheme was ready on the ground.When the BJP came to power in UP, he said, the state had 1.87 crore un-electrified households, but in one year the BJP government gave out connections to 36 lakh people.“If you compare, the track record of the last 15 years comes to 6.5 lakh connections per year. While in one year, we have given out 36 lakh connections. You can estimate the speed at which we are working,” he said. Barinpurwa is a Dalit majra — majra being a hamlet — with a population of 250-300, within the Manodharpur gram sabha of Barabanki district. While the gram sabha is technically electrified, the residents of Barinpurva still have to rely on kerosene lamps to beat the darkness. Many of them have installed solar panels for basic power supply. The village is located barely 50 km from the capital of Uttar Pradesh.Durgesh Bari’s house, located at the entry to the majra, does not have a fan or a TV set as he has no power supply. There is not a single electric pole or transformer in the majra. While the kitchen is kept out of darkness by kerosene lamps, a 20-watt solar panel helps charge mobile phones and tiny emergency lights so that the children can study in the evening. And when that fails, the family relies on a shop at the village square to charge phones at a nominal fee though a generator.“Last year some people came with electric poles and dug pits too. The women were so excited they helped them dig. But before they could plant them in our majra, they took the poles back and installed them in the neighbouring majra, saying they had come here due to a clerical mistake,” said Durgesh, pointing to the dug-out patches outside his house. That was the closest the Dalit family, which farms 1.5 bigha land for survival, came to having a power connection.Sudha, Durgesh’s mother, said the going gets tough during peak summer when the heat makes life difficult under the tin roof without a fan. “When it gets unbearable, I run to the trees for shade,” she says.Moreover, the family has to utilise the kerosene frugally as the household only gets 2 litres per month in ration, added Sudha.
Manchester United forward Anthony Martial may be rested for Tuesday’s Premier League trip to West Ham United to avoid aggravating a hamstring injury, manager Louis van Gaal has said.The 20-year-old pulled up while warming up for Saturday’s 1-0 win at Norwich City that closed the gap between fifth-placed United and fourth-placed Manchester City to two points, with Van Gaal’s men having a game in hand over their local rivals.The French international has enjoyed a solid start to his United career since signing from Monaco in September, scoring 15 goals in all competitions, and his absence will be a blow for a side that can ensure a top-four finish if they win their last two games.”If his muscles are still tight I don’t take any risks because he is a very important player. We don’t want a rupture and that is very important for us,” Van Gaal told a news conference.”I cannot say (if Martial will play) because we have to wait.”Van Gaal also urged his side to focus on beating West Ham and ignore the feverish atmosphere at what will be the final game at the Boleyn Ground ahead of the Hammers’ move to the Olympic Stadium next season.”On Tuesday, we have to play against an opponent who says goodbye to the stadium so they don’t want to lose,” the Dutchman added. “It’s not good for us and West Ham United are a very good team.”We don’t want to spoil their party but we need the three points. It is a big night and I think the players shall feel that also.”advertisementUnited end their season at home against Bournemouth on Sunday.
Minister with responsibility for Sport, Hon. Natalie Neita Headley, says the National Council on Sport has been given a mandate to review all proposals in relation to the Trelawny Stadium.She noted that the Council’s findings will be reported to Prime Minister the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller, who has full portfolio responsibility for Sport.Mrs. Neita Headley made the announcement during her contribution to the 2013/14 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives, on June 5.She argued that the Trelawny Sport facility is of significant value to the parish and the country, and “it has to be developed as a part of the community for the use of the people, whether they reside locally or come into Jamaica from overseas.”Mrs. Neita Headley said this development will take place within the context of the 1978 to 1998 National Physical Plan, which highlighted the town of Falmouth as a major growth centre for resort expansion and development.The Trelawny Stadium is managed by Independence Park Limited, which also manages the National Stadium Complex, and falls under the Ministry of Sports. It was built with a US$30 million loan from China.The stadium lies on Jamaica’s scenic northwest coast and is just over 40 minutes away from Montego Bay, which also boasts the Sangster International Airport. It is also just 10 minutes outside of Falmouth, which is home to an international pier.Re-established in 2012, the National Council on Sport is an advisory body comprising representatives of Ministries, Agencies, Institutions, Organisations and individuals involved in managing and directing sport.The Council provides the opportunity for greater monitoring and co-ordination of the sector, especially as the government moves to ensure that the full potential of economic and social benefits of sport are realised.Mrs. Neita Headley made her presentation on the theme: ‘Jamaica’s Sport Policy and Sport for Development, Growth and Equity…Fuelling Sporting Success for Future Development’.Contact: Athaliah Reynolds-Baker
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Bermuda-based shipowner Ship Finance International has entered into USD 400 million lease financing agreements to finance four 14,000 TEU container vessels.The boxships, which were acquired in May 2018, are employed under long term time charters to Taiwan’s Evergreen Marine Corporation until 2024, with options to extend the charters by 18 additional months.Secured with an Asian-based institution, each financing has a term of nearly nine years, with an option to purchase the vessel back after six years, around expiry of the firm period of the charters to Evergreen.A portion of the proceeds from the financings would be used to refinance the USD 320 million unsecured loan facility arranged at the vessels’ delivery in May. Lease financings for three of the vessels have already been finalized, and the last vessel is expected to close within the next two weeks.Ship Finance said that the interest rate of the financings “are very attractive,” and the transactions free up USD 80 million of investment capacity, which is expected to be deployed in new investments.“These financing transactions demonstrate our continued ability to attract highly competitive capital,” Ole B. Hjertaker, CEO of Ship Finance Management AS, said.