RelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Eddie Hearn confirmed Anthony Joshua will not fight Tyson Fury this year but insisted that he is ready to sign a two-fight deal for 2021 right now.With the British pair holding every major belt in the heavyweight division, Hearn had previously stated the highly-anticipated undisputed showdown may have been pushed closer due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, with sporting events beginning to restart around the globe, while former WBC champion Deontay Wilder is refusing to step away from a contracted trilogy fight with Fury, the bout will have to wait.While Fury completes his contractual obligation, Joshua will face mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev, Hearn insisting it is then time for the English duo to meet.“It would probably be a two-fight deal,” Hearn told Sky Sports. “Any deal between Fury and AJ, you run it twice.“It is not a condition of the deal but it was in their deal with Deontay Wilder, and it is the biggest fight in boxing, so it is likely you will see that twice.”“I had a conversation [on Thursday] saying: ‘Wilder is not stepping aside, we will take care of that fight, you take care of the Pulev fight, but let’s get a deal done for 2021’. “We have no problem signing now to fight Fury in 2021.” In the meantime, Hearn assures Joshua’s goals remain the same: to successfully defend his belts in the United Kingdom.The 40-year-old does concede, however, that the coronavirus pandemic has limited Joshua’s fight schedule.“The focus remains the same – do the fight in the UK,” Hearn added. “We have also now conceded that AJ will only fight once this year.“Before it was all about getting that fight in early-August to make sure we could fight in December. Because of the preparation needed and the magnitude of his shows, AJ will only box once in 2020.“We hope between September and December live gates will return to the UK. There is also a chance they won’t – if that’s the case, we will take the fight elsewhere.” Tags: CoronavirusDeontay WilderEddie HearnKubrat Pulev
There has been so much talk about how strong the Western Conference is, how its elite teams got stronger over the summer by adding solid players. The Sacramento Kings have typically not been mentioned in that group, but they don’t look too shabby on paper.The Clippers on Wednesday night open their season at Sacramento. The Kings traded away power forward Jason Thompson in the off-season, but they signed free-agent point guard Rajon Rondo. They also signed small forward Marco Belinelli.Add them to center DeMarcus Cousins, small forward Rudy Gay and guard Darren Collison, and they appear formidable.“I think they’re going to be a good team this year,” Clippers point guard Chris Paul said Tuesday at practice. “They’ve got Rondo now leading them, DeMarcus Cousins keeps getting better year in and year out. They added Marco Belinelli and they’ve got Rudy, who they’ll probably play through most nights. They’re a better team.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Rondo left Dallas on less-than-terrific terms. Near the end of his one season there, he was given a one-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team after a shouting match with coach Rick Carlisle.Clippers forward Paul Pierce, who played with Rondo when they were members of the Boston Celtics, believes his former teammate will be raring to go.“Rajon, you’ve gotta feel like he has something to prove this year, so you’ve gotta expect his best, especially with the way things ended in Dallas last year,” Pierce said.Coach Doc Rivers believes Sacramento can make a push for the postseason.“Yeah, yeah, I do,” Rivers said. “I mean, they are really talented. And when you have a really talented team with length — like, they’re a really long basketball team — then they’re going to create some problems.” In other words, this opener doesn’t figure to be a cake walk for the Clippers.An 18th season could be it for PiercePierce is entering his 18th season, his first for the Clippers. Out of Inglewood, he has often talked about how cool it would be for him to end his career in Los Angeles.“I don’t really know,” he said, when asked about the anticipation of playing at home. “It hasn’t really hit me yet. I think I probably got a lot of the jitterbugs out during preseason, so excited to get the season started, I guess, and, you know, counting down my last days.”Doc on TwitterRivers has officially joined the ranks of Twitter users. He sent out his first tweet on Monday. It read, “Hello, Twitter world! Thanks to @PhilJackson11 who suggested I try this.”Rivers told reporters all about it Tuesday. He said it was indeed former Lakers coach Phil Jackson who is responsible for getting him on the social media trail.“A year ago, maybe two years ago, we were in the gym here and he came in just watching us,” Rivers said. “And, in Phil’s way, ‘You gotta get on Twitter.’ And I kept saying, ‘I can get in a lot of trouble on Twitter.’ And he said, ‘No, you won’t. Trust me. You’ll have control.’“And I said, ‘You don’t know me that well.’ He even said it at a clinic last year, as well, that he thought more coaches should do it. And so I thought about it from that day. It took me two years, a year and a half, to actually follow through on it.”Rivers indicated he won’t tweet much, but that he will send out his own tweets. He’s licking his lips.“After the games, I’m going to blast reporters,” he said. “From this day forward, whoever asks the worst question, I’m blasting. Is that fair?”Reporters answered in the affirmative.Rivers’ handle is @DocRivers.