Categories
ykqisdscp

WBD teen appears at Wales Court

first_imgUnity Street, La Grange murderA lad who is being accused of murder was all smiles as he made his first appearance at the Wales Magistrate’s Court late last week.West Bank Demerara (WBD) native Christopher Chung, 16, appeared before Magistrate Clive Nurse to answer the charge which stated that on July 17, 2016 at Unity Street, La Grange, WBD, he allegedly murdered labourer James Stewart, 51.Chung made his first appearance at the Wales Magistrate’s CourtThe deceased was discovered along the road-side near his Lot 101 Unity Street home.The Prosecution’s facts contend that the teen confessed to the murder on August 1, 2016.However, during the lad’s arraignment, at the Vreed-en-Hoop Magistrate’s Court last month, Defence Counsel Melvin Duke maintained that there were “gross violations of law” committed, as the defendant had been held in Police custody for over 84 hours and was not afforded the privilege of an attorney at the time.According to reports, the youth allegedly told Police that Stewart had knocked him off his bike, which caused him to fall to the ground. Chung added that he went to a friend’s home, borrowed a hammer and returned to where he had last seen Stewart. It was then that he reportedly struck the man once to the head with the hammer.However, relatives of the deceased have maintained that robbery was the motive behind Stewart’s beating, since it was not the first time he had been robbed.One family member also noted that violent robberies were a developing problem in the community; this was evident as many people would appear at the hospital beaten and robbed, the relative pointed out.Stewart’s post-mortem report revealed that the he died from haemorrhaging and multiple injuries to the head.Meanwhile, the lad will return to court on October 7, 2016.last_img read more

Categories
wqkafednd

AT&T aids Arnold’s after-school program

first_imgSACRAMENTO – Telephone giant AT&T, which spent millions last year to influence legislation giving the company access to California’s cable-television market, gave about $500,000 Tuesday to a private after-school program founded by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger, who signed the 2006 cable law, attended a ceremony in San Antonio, where AT&T’s philanthropic arm announced the donation to the governor’s nonprofit After-School All-Stars program. Schwarzenegger founded the national program in 1992 as a way to provide tutoring services and sports to at-risk middle-school students. It has affiliates in 14 cities. For AT&T, Tuesday’s donation followed a 2006 legislative session in which California lawmakers approved a law giving the company and Verizon Communications access to the state’s $5.3 billion-a-year cable-TV market. The law took effect in January. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! In 2006, AT&T gave $744,614 to political candidates and campaigns, including $44,600 to Schwarzenegger. Meanwhile, the company spent $23.6 million to hire lobbyists and pay for television commercials promoting the cable bill. Verizon and its employees contributed $395,347 to political candidates and campaigns, and the company spent $2.3 million on lobbying expenses. The chairman of the after-school program, former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros, a Cabinet member in the Clinton administration, said he sought the donation from AT&T, which is headquartered in the Texas city. “They have been very generous to a range of nonprofit activities, so it made sense for them to support the After-School All-Stars,” Cisneros said. The program serves about 65,000 children in 15 cities, he said. It started out providing sports activities for kids but has been transformed into an academic program, he added.last_img read more

Categories
itzdwvmia

CASE OF DRINK-DRIVING AGAINST DONEGAL SENATOR ADJOURNED AGAIN

first_imgA case of alleged drink-driving against Donegal Senator Brian O Domhnaill has been adjourned again until May 18th.Senator O’DomhnaillSeantor O Domhnaill, 38, from Killult, Falcarragh, did not appear at Letterkenny District Court this morning. The charges include drink-driving as well as hit and run failing to report an occurrence, hit and run failing to remain at the scene and hit and run failing to give appropriate information.The incident is alleged to have happened at Tullygay outside Letterkenny on September 2nd, 2013.Senator O Domhnaill’s solicitor John Canon addressed the court in Irish.Judge Paul Kelly, who also addressed the court in Irish, agreed to the adjournment.CASE OF DRINK-DRIVING AGAINST DONEGAL SENATOR ADJOURNED AGAIN was last modified: March 16th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more