“I’m not worried,” coach Diego Simeone said. “I’m calmer than ever because it’s a wake-up call, a call for more focus.”It also means five points stand between Atletico and Spain’s two grandees, who have swept up 13 of the last 14 league titles, with Simeone’s surprise triumph in 2014 the anomaly.That was Atleti’s first in 18 years and a surprise of such gigantic proportions, that even Barca’s fans applauded when it was signed off at the Camp Nou, in their own back yard.A repeat next May would be no less impressive but certainly more believable.In the four years since, Atletico have finished third, third, third and second, won the Europa League and gone to the final of the Champions League, only to lose to Real.But it was their business in the summer, or rather lack of it, that deepened the sense this could again be their year. Antoine Griezmann felt like a new signing after he snubbed Barcelona – and announced it in a documentary – while the arrivals of Thomas Lemar from Monaco and Rodri from Villarreal bolstered two areas of weakness.But defensive errors in the Super Cup win against Madrid have continued into the league, while Diego Costa, Griezmann and Lemar have yet to catch fire.“We have lacked a little bit of precision at the end of our plays and that’s why we didn’t score against Celta,” Simeone said.“But what is clear to me is that this start is the best thing that can happen to us.”Atleti will surely react and there was cause for optimism too over the international break, when their midfielder Saul Niguez proved himself the standout performer across two excellent Spain victories.But it means they can ill-afford another slip at home to Eibar on Saturday, particularly with the city derby at the Santiago Bernabeu fast approaching at the end of the month.– Courtois or Navas? –Their rivals could hardly have made a better opening under Julen Lopetegui, with a trip to come on Saturday to Athletic Bilbao, who will have not kicked a competitive ball in three weeks after their last match against Rayo Vallecano was postponed.Gareth Bale extended his sensational start to the season with a brilliant goal for Wales last week and Karim Benzema also appears a player transformed under his new coach, boasting four goals in three.The only doubt has been at the other end. If Thibaut Courtois retains his place in goal versus Bilbao, the temptation will be to conclude Lopetegui is plumping for the Belgian as his first-choice, ahead of UEFA’s recently named keeper of the year, Keylor Navas.“It’s clear that I have two excellent solutions,” Lopetegui told Cadena SER last week. “The decision we make, it’s not a problem. We have an idea in our heads that we will not make public and we will see where it takes us.”Luka Modric should make his second league start of the season, alongside the same clutch of Spaniards who helped inflict a 6-0 thrashing over his Croatia on Tuesday.Ivan Rakitic may be in for similar taunting as he returns to Barcelona, who face Real Sociedad on Saturday at Anoeta.With PSV Eindhoven to come at the Camp Nou three days later, Ernesto Valverde will have been relieved to see the likes of Lionel Messi, Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba resting up over the international period.FixturesFridayHuesca v Rayo Vallecano (10pm)SaturdayAtletico Madrid v Eibar (2pm), Real Sociedad v Barcelona (5:15pm), Valencia v Real Betis (7:30pm), Athletic Bilbao v Real Madrid (9:45pm)SundayLeganes v Villarreal (1pm), Espanyol v Levante (5:15pm), Real Valladolid v Alaves (7:30pm), Sevilla v Getafe (9:45pm)MondayGirona v Celta Vigo (10pm)0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid are five points behind Barcelona and Real Madrid just three games into the season © AFP/File / MIGUEL RIOPAMADRID, Spain, Sep 14 – Atletico Madrid were billed as serious contenders to win La Liga this season but three games in and they are already playing catch-up.A creditable draw away to Valencia was followed by a stodgy one-goal win at home to Rayo Vallecano. By the time the whistle blew on a chaotic 2-0 defeat to Celta Vigo, Barcelona and Real Madrid were readying themselves for a third win out of three.
Since Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) regulations were passed after the Enron scandal, businesses, particularly those small and medium sized, have complained about Section 404 which they have viewed as being onerous to comply with. The problem has been with the language of the ruling. The vagueness of the SOX language has made many accountants and auditors interpret the law very conservatively. Accountants and auditors are often worried that they could be sued by the SEC or investors if fraud is discovered at a later date.The result has been that companies fees for auditing and accounting have soared. An AMR report shows that costs related to SOX have increased from $2.5 billion in 2002 to $6.1 billion in 2005.For companies targeting SOX with products, services and consulting, this has been good news. Many software vendors have targeted the problem with specialized software. Companies addressing the problem include IBM, Oracle, SAP AG and Microsoft. The Big Four accounting firms have also benefited.Proposed guidance for SOX compliance from the SEC is expected in December. The Wall Street Journal this weekend reported that the new language will relax requirements of Section 404 compliance. In the long-term that is likely to save companies money and provide them with confidence that their procedures are compliant. But in the short-term it may mean that recently implemented processes for achieving compliance will again need to be reviewed, changed and updated.
Slamming the Centre over alleged lack of transparency in the ongoing Naga peace talks, former Union Minister Jairam Ramesh has said that the Congress will oppose any agreement, if it changes the geography of Manipur and any other northeastern State. A six-member Congress delegation arrived here on Sunday to take stock of the situation in Manipur arising out of the Naga peace talks and gather the opinions of people and party leaders on the National Register of Citizens (NRC).“There is no transparency regarding Naga peace talks on the part of the central government. The progress in the ongoing Naga peace talks has not been disclosed,” Mr. Ramesh told reporters at the Congress Bhawan here. Any accord which would change the geography of any State of the northeast region, including Manipur, will be opposed by the Congress, he said.“During the tenure of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, the Centre had signed Assam, Mizoram and Tripura accords “without changing the geography of any state”, the senior Congress leader said. The former Union Minister was accompanied by AICC general secretary Mukul Wasnik, former union minister of state Jitendra Singh, MP Manickam Tagore, AICC secretary Ranjit Mukherjee and Mohammed Ali Khan. Last week, the Union Home Ministry had said that lot of rumours and misinformation was being spread that the final Naga settlement had been arrived at and would be announced soon.“This is creating anxiety and concern in some parts of the country. It is clarified that before any settlement is arrived at with Naga groups, all stakeholders including states of Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh will be duly consulted and their concerns will be taken into consideration. No credence needs to be given to such rumours and incorrect information,” the MHA statement had said. Former Manipur Chief Minister O. Ibobi Singh said that the Centre, according to media reports, has rejected the NSCN-IM demand for separate flag and Constitution during the Naga peace talks.“People in Manipur are confused whether the demand for greater Nagaland has been accepted or not. If it is accepted by the present government, the party will oppose it tooth and nail,” the Congress Legislature Party leader in Manipur said.
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — Leaders of the U.S. Olympic Committee are sticking with Boston as a candidate for the 2024 Olympics, knowing full well that getting the city to the starting line in this contest could be as tough as actually landing the games.The USOC board met June 30 to discuss the Boston bid, which has been troubled by tepid polling data and opponents who, among other things, don’t want taxpayers footing the bill for a huge international event.Thoughts that the board might turn elsewhere or pull the plug altogether were put on hold. They were replaced by a show of support for the Boston 2024 team, now under new management, along with a not-so-subtle nod to the reality that the city needs to find a support level among its residents well above the current low to mid-40 percent range.“We want to see a positive trend, and the sooner the better,” said USOC Chairman Larry Probst, who was joined by CEO Scott Blackmun and the leaders of the Boston bid at a news conference.“We want to see it get to 50 percent relatively soon, and ultimately get to the mid-60s range, certainly before the vote of the IOC.”That vote comes in 2017, but the key date is Sept. 15, 2015, which is when all cities must declare themselves candidates. Probst made reference to “circling back” with the Boston leadership in the next few weeks, and both Probst and Blackmun said they’d be monitoring the polling numbers carefully.Boston joins Paris, Rome and Hamburg, Germany as the officially declared candidates.Had the board wanted more certainty, it could have ditched Boston and looked to Los Angeles — an awkward and difficult choice that may have netted a better final result because Los Angeles has hosted the Olympics twice and there has been talk that some IOC members would like a “safer” American choice.Instead, the USOC said it was all-in with Boston, which unveiled its new “Bid 2.0” to the public on June 29.“I’ve seen their presentation five times in the last six days, and each time, it keeps getting better,” Probst said.So, the board decided the right thing to do was to see how that plan plays out before simply walking away.The $4.6 billion blueprint was filled with before-missing specifics about venues and cost. Probst and Blackmun said they were impressed with the man who will oversee it: Celtics co-owner Steve Pagliuca, who replaced John Fish as chairman nearly six weeks ago.“We’ve had so many conversations with Scott that he hasn’t had time to talk to anyone else,” Pagliuca deadpanned, after Blackmun was asked if anyone at the USOC had, in fact, had conversations with Los Angeles.The answer: An emphatic “No.”“We’re focused exclusively with Boston,” Blackmun said. For now, at least.A referendum on the Olympics is set for next year in Massachusetts and Boston 2024 leaders have vowed to pull out of the race if it doesn’t win.That’s why the polling trends are so crucial, and that’s why the “announcement” certainly doesn’t end this debate, but rather, kicks it down the road.Much of the handwringing in Boston has been about public funding. Pagliuca described an intricate, $128 million insurance plan that gave Boston “five levels of protection” against cost overruns, contractor bailouts and the sort of things the IOC wants guarantees for before awarding its premier event to any city.“Nothing in life is risk-free,” Pagliuca said. “I could walk off the podium and trip on the carpet. But this is five layers of protection. People will look at it and say the risk is limited and small, but the reward is great.”His task is to get the word out about the 4,100 construction jobs, 7,000 new apartment units and $362 million in tax revenue that a Boston Olympics could generate.He has a big sales job ahead. Shortly after the news conference, the opposition group “No Boston Olympics” tweeted pictures of residents at a rally. Many held up signs saying schools and infrastructure were higher priorities than hosting the games.“Citizens want better schools, better transit, not a 3wk, taxpayer-backed event in 2024,” the tweet said.All this is set against a backdrop that indicates now should be a great time for the United States to be bidding.The U.S. hasn’t hosted a Summer Games since 1996. An Associated Press-GfK poll from last week found 89 percent of Americans would like to see the an Olympics on home turf, though the support dwindled to 61 percent when respondents were asked if they would want the games in their local area.“I love seeing those polling numbers,” Blackmun said. “They speak to the fact that, as a nation, we want to see the Olympic Games in the United States. … The games always create questions in the city where they’ve been chosen to be held.”(EDDIE PELLS, AP National Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shares
More information: Evidence for a Dusty Dark Dwarf Galaxy in the Quadruple Lens MG0414+0534, arXiv:1701.05283 [astro-ph.GA] arxiv.org/abs/1701.05283AbstractWe report the 4σ detection of a faint object with a flux of ~ 0.3 mJy, in the vicinity of the quadruply lensed QSO MG0414+0534 using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter array (ALMA) Band 7. The object is most probably a dusty dark dwarf galaxy, which has not been detected in either the optical, near-infrared (NIR) or radio (cm) bands. An anomaly in the flux ratio of the lensed images observed in Band 7 and the mid-infrared (MIR) band and the reddening of the QSO light color can be simultaneously explained if we consider the object as a lensing substructure with an ellipticity ~ 0.7 at a redshift of 0.5≲z≲1. Using the best-fit lens models with three lenses, we find that the dark matter plus baryon mass associated with the object is ∼109M⊙, the dust mass is ∼107M⊙ and the linear size is ≳5kpc. Thus our findings suggest that the object is a dusty dark dwarf galaxy. A substantial portion of faint submillimeter galaxies (SMGs) in the universe may be attributed to such dark objects. ALMA 0.88 mm (Band 7) dust continuum images of MG 0414+0534. A faint spot inside a red circle (left) is the “object Y”. Credit: Inoue et al., 2017. Dozens of new ultra-diffuse galaxies discovered in Abell 2744 MG 0414+0534 is a quadruply lensed, radio-loud quasar that showcases a strong sign of anomaly in the flux ratio and reddening in the optical and near-infrared band. This anomaly baffles scientists as its origin is not fully understood yet.In order to reveal more insights into this mysterious anomaly, a team of researchers led by Kaiki Taro Inoue of Kindai University in Japan conducted continuum observations of MG 0414+0534 with ALMA. The observational campaign, which was carried out in June and August 2015, resulted in the discovery of a faint object with a flux of about 0.3 mJy in the vicinity of the quasar. For the purpose of the research, this newly found object was designated “object Y.”According to the paper, “object Y” has an ellipticity of about 0.7 at a redshift between 0.5 and 1.0 and its linear size is at least 16,300 light years. The scientists estimate that the dark matter plus baryon mass associated with the object is about one billion solar masses, while its dust mass is approximately 10 million times greater than that of the sun.The images obtained by ALMA allowed the researchers to draw conclusions that the newly detected object is most likely a dusty dark dwarf galaxy, previously undetected in either optical, near-infrared or radio bands.”Our findings suggest that the object is a dusty dark dwarf galaxy,” the paper reads.However, the astronomers also explore the possibility that “object Y” could be an UDG. With stellar masses typical of dwarf galaxies, UDGs are extremely-low-density galaxies. The largest UDGs have sizes comparable to the Milky Way but contain only about one percent as many stars as our home galaxy. Notably, the phenomenon of UDGs still puzzles scientists as they try explain why these faint but large galaxies are not ripped apart by the tidal fields of their host clusters.The researchers explain that if “object Y” is a UDG, then its stellar components may have been expanded due to outflow caused by starburst or active galactic nucleus (AGN) activity. Therefore, the surface brightness in the optical and near-infrared band can be extremely small despite being gas-rich, which makes this object difficult to spot.The team concluded that more detailed analysis of the newly found object could provide important information about the origin of past starburst activity. They also noted that if “object Y” is residing in the intervening line of sight, many faint submillimeter galaxies may be classified in the future as gas-rich dusty dark dwarf galaxies.”A substantial portion of faint submillimeter galaxies (SMGs) in the universe may be attributed to such dark objects,” the researchers wrote in the paper. Citation: Mysterious faint object detected in the vicinity of a quadruply lensed quasar (2017, January 25) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2017-01-mysterious-faint-vicinity-quadruply-lensed.html (Phys.org)—Astronomers have spotted a mysterious faint object in the vicinity of a quadruply lensed quasar designated MG 0414+0534. The object, which was discovered using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), appears to be a dusty, dark dwarf galaxy or an ultra-diffuse galaxy (UDG). The findings were presented January 19 in a paper published on arXiv.org. © 2017 Phys.org Explore further This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.